Wednesday, April 28, 2010

i used to think my calling was marine biologist



So last night I finished my New Staff Training assignments and to celebrate I went to the movies by myself for the first time. I've always wanted to do that. I was the only one in the theater (shocker) at 9:30pm on a Tuesday watching Disney's Oceans documentary. Somehow it won over The Last Song.

Totally worth $10 (plus $4 for a blue slushie of course).

Okay so I'm aware that there are an abundance of documentaries on the ocean and you're thinking, Disney? Really? They only know how to do cartoons, how could they make a legit documentary? Well, somehow, they exceeded my low expectations and here is one of the most beautiful films I have ever seen.

In four years of production Disney somehow managed to capture the most beautiful scenes you could possibly imagine. From a mother walrus floating while cuddling her baby in her fins, to an explosive feeding of a school of fish by dolphins, sharks, and other animals, to a huge pile of spider crabs facing off on the ocean floor, to a diver swimming harmlessly alongside a Great White Shark, to ships making their rocky way over huge waves, to several humpback whales breaking the glassy surface all at once against a backdrop of Alaska snow-capped mountains. Breathtaking.

AND it's narrated by Pierce Brosnan. Good choice. It didn't narrate like other documentaries. It was more about inspiring awe and wonder and the words were poetic, not scientific. I know the point of the movie was to inspire us to take better care of our oceans, but it couldn't help but inspire a love for my Creator. I probably had mouth on the floor of the theater half the time, but it's okay because I was the only one in there. Every once in awhile I would see something and just shake my head. You came up with that? That's so cool. Wow. For me?

Just go see it.

No comments: